On the one hand, a “Mommy Makeover” is little more than a clever marketing term, so why do moms love Mommy Makeovers so much? There’s a definite appeal, and to a certain degree surgeons know this—that’s why the marketing term exists in the first place.
Do Moms Love Mommy Makeovers?
Then again, that’s not totally fair. Mommy Makeover could just as easily have started as a kind of short hand of a group of procedures that moms commonly signed up for—something surgeons noticed and wanted to make easier to communicate. In either case, there is a certain appeal towards Mommy Makeovers that are expressed by moms in particular.
Maybe that shouldn’t be surprising. The procedure is named after them, isn’t it? That’s going to ensure a certain degree of popularity. But there are others reasons that moms love Mommy Makeovers.
Turning Back the Clock
According to the website of Dr. Tenley Lawton, MD, an Orange County Mommy Makeover specialist, one of the primary appeals of the Mommy Makeover set of procedures lies in its ability to turn back time. And that has something to do with the way that motherhood works more broadly.
Think about it like this: motherhood is something of a sacrifice. It’s a sacrifice of time and energy. And it’s a sacrifice of the body as well. In fact, motherhood takes a pretty specific toll on the body, starting with pregnancy and then accelerating through the years of parenting.
The physical manifestation of that sacrifice can be quite potent:
- Excess lines and wrinkles
- Excessive skin (especially around the belly area)
- Stubborn areas of fat on the body (both pregnancy and stress tend to change the way your body stores and uses fat)
- Exacerbating and accelerating the aging process
Perhaps it’s that last one—the way that parenting can speed up the aging process—that makes a Mommy Makeover so appealing to such a wide variety of mothers. It offers moms the chance to turn back the clock, to be rewarded for some of that sacrifice.
Enjoying Youthfulness Again
To be sure “turning back the clock” could mean all kinds of things. But Mommy Makeover isn’t a time machine, it’s a plastic surgery procedure. So it’s important to keep in mind the limitations inherent in this technique. Many plastic surgeons will tell you that “realistic expectations” are key to satisfaction with the procedures.
Essentially, a Mommy Makeover is designed to make patients appear younger in some very specific ways. That’s why a Mommy Makeover is really more like a combination of several procedures than one all on its own. Here’s how each of those procedures address a specific type of “aging” that comes with motherhood.
- Tummy Tuck: It’s true that not all mothers have been pregnant (there are plenty of types of families out there), but the issue of excess skin around the tummy is quite prevalent. Often this arises because of pregnancy. Whatever the cause, a tummy tuck can make your belly look flatter, firmer, and fitter. This translates, essentially, into a much more youthful appearance.
- Liposuction: As we mentioned earlier, pregnancy and the stress of parenting can conspire to change the way your body handles fat. Your body, under the impression you need to hang on to more fat for later use, will be slower to lose weight. This means that it’s not uncommon for moms to take a shine to liposuction. This procedure can contour the body—eliminating those stubborn areas of fat common to motherhood.
- Breast Lift: As you age, gravity can pull the breasts downward, changing their orientation. A breast lift can return the breasts to a more youthful (slightly perkier) placement. At first glance, this might not seem to have much to do with overall youthfulness, but a patients body profile can have a lot do with how old they feel. Making this part of the profile look more youthful can help the patient feel significantly younger.
Results Drive Raves
Mommy Makeover is a really popular procedure. But here’s the truth: it wouldn’t be so popular if it didn’t get excellent results for most patients. A Mommy Makeover is a way to address a wide swath of issues all across your body—but in a way that doesn’t necessarily lay you up for months. You’re able to get results and then get on with enjoying those results.
But Mommy Makeovers are also flexible—another reason moms tend to love them so much. You can swap out one procedure for another and get your own individualized results. If you want to know more about what a Mommy Makeover can do for you, contact a local plastic surgeon and schedule a consultation. The whole process starts there.